Sunday, January 25, 2009

The past week...

...has been a busy one. Chris and I have both been working extra hours and there hasn't been a lot of time for blogging. We did get to spend the day together today (for the first time in over two weeks!) and had some great family time. If only our days together weren't so few and far between... :(

Other news around the house...
-Ella had an appointment with an allergist this week and has been officially diagnosed with asthma. Stinks for her, but we're glad we don't have to make it through any more scary wheezing attacks without proper medication just so the doctors can "witness her wheezing". Now that we have rescue meds at home, we don't feel quite so defenseless. She's been on a daily medication for the last few weeks that seems to be working, and I'm so excited about her being able to run and play and not having to worry about bringing on an asthma attack. Seriously, try telling your 2 year old she needs to sit down and be still because the jumping and running are making her wheeze- trust me, it doesn't work!! We're hopefully finished with that now.

-On the potty training front- Ella is doing fabulously! It's been several days since she's had an accident in her panties. The only problem we have now is that she doesn't always want to put panties on. She has lazy days (or maybe she's too busy!) when she doesn't want to worry with panties and prefers to wear a diaper "for just a little bit, Mommy". We're not being pushy, we know she will eventually decide she's finished with diapers. Right now, it's pretty cute watching her run around with her little panties on. There is sort of a ritual she does everyday before she puts them on. She lays every single pair out on the floor... and goes through each pair one by one before she decides which pair she will wear for the day.
She takes this decision very seriously and sometimes the process takes 10 minutes or more! haha!! I can only imagine how long it may take her to pick out an outfit once she in middle or high school! :)

-And a little word about the old pregnant momma :) Everyone keeps asking how I'm doing, how I'm feeling, am I sleeping okay, is this pregnancy different than my first, etc. All I can say is that I hope this little guy is as well-behaved once he's out in this world as he has been during this pregnancy. In all reality, he never gives his momma any trouble. He's not quite as active as I remember Ella being. However, he does like the music at church just like she did and he goes crazy every time I eat anything. :) I feel great, I sleep decently. Similarities between the two pregnancies are that I crave the same food- orange juice, meat, cheese, fruity candy. I have heartburn (go figure!). My hips and feet get sore, but, seriously, whose wouldn't after working a 13 hour shift. The main difference I notice is the way I'm carrying with this one. He is way out front. With Ella, I never had any trouble putting socks on or painting my toes- not even the week before I delivered her. With this little guy, it's already a bit of a struggle to get socks and shoes on. Cracks me up every time, because I can't imagine what it'll be like in another 11 weeks! Anyways, I'm feeling really wonderfully, and just feel so thrilled and lucky to be in this place, having these "issues". Thanks to everyone for all your prayers for us. Please keep them coming!

And I have to post this, more so I can remember it than anything, but I know our family will love it. Tonight, we were at Olive Garden and Ella went with me to the restroom. She's standing there watching me and when I'm finished, she looked in the toilet and said, "Oh, Mommy, that is so pretty!" I started laughing and said, "What's so pretty?" And she said, "That pee-pee in there! It's so pretty!" hahahaha!!!! Sure, Ella, whatever you say! :)

3 comments:

The Utz Family said...

I am glad everything is going so well. I bet you are totally relieved to have the rescue inhaler at home now. I would think that could be really scary! Way to go Ella on the potty training!! Hannah thinks her panties have to match her outfit! I think we will be in trouble when they get a little older!! :)

danraymac said...

sam used to take a breathing treatment once a day for a long time. our pediatrician would not diagnose sam with asthma until he was older (he said 3-5). he said there was a good chance that he would grow out of it. we stopped doing the breathing treatment on our own in October. we haven't had any issues since then and as you can tell from the blog he doesn't slow down. is there a chance that she will grow out of it?

Chris and Melissa said...

that's our hope- that she will grow out of it. the doc didn't seem to think so. he said those with attacks tied to allergies are more likely to grow out of it, but none of her allergy tests came back positive. also, because of the frequency of her symptoms (1-2x/week), he thinks she just has really reactive lungs. she's taking daily inhaled steroids and they really seem to be helping. we're hoping, though, that it will eventually go away.