Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Our new pets

After weeks and weeks of Ella attempting to catch mice, ants, and other critters "because I really want a pet!", Chris and I decided to do something about it. We weren't sure what was going to end up in our house! haha! Although she would love a dog, bringing home a new puppy is just not practical right now. So, we decided to start small and bring home some fish. Boy, was she over the moon!! I wish I had had my camera at the store as we were picking them out. She was giggling and squealing and could hardly contain her excitement. She chose one big goldfish, "Willie", and ten smaller fish, "Lillie, Villie, Nillie, Billie, ..." and so on, and then chose the rock, plants, etc. She had a very important job on the way home- carrying and protecting the bag full of fish... Watching as Daddy filled the tank... One thrilled, little girl here! And an excited, little boy, too! The finished aquarium... Cade couldn't wait to check it out again the next morning. And to report on our fish progress... It's been four days since we brought them home and, so far, we've lost four fish. =( The funny thing is, as happy as Ella was to bring them home, it doesn't seem to phase her a bit when they die. She's just as excited to carry them in her little net and flush them down the toilet! Another fatality... Just look at that grin on her face! I told her to at least try to look a tad bit sad! Geez! "Bye, bye, fish!!"Every time we flush one, all I can think about is that episode of the Cosby Show where the whole family dresses up and stands around the toilet to say goodbye to Rudy's fish. haha! Does anyone else remember that? Anyways, I'm not sure how long these pets will last or if Ella will even care to replace them when they're gone!

2 comments:

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

YES! I remember that one! I've actually been watching reruns at 2 AM when I am up nursing! ha!

Sam and Jake would love a dog too but we just can't do it right now. Maybe we'll do a fish.....

Jill said...

I remember, too! :) We always seem to kill fish when we watch them for friends while they're on vacation. :( {I think they're easy to kill. ..}